Winston is intended to work with common home networking and smart home devices without any difficulties. However, due to the wide diversity of protocols and communication channels, we occasionally encounter compatibility issues.
Please report any issues you encounter to our support team along with any relevant details (manufacturer and product, steps to reproduce, etc). Once we are able to reproduce the problem in our lab, we can diagnose and resolve quickly (usually within the next release).
- TiVo (various models) - will not install or download guide updates. Fix currently in progress (v1.0.6)
- Lacrosse weather Gateway 1000U - will not connect to external monitoring services.
- Echo Dot - reported to have difficulties communicating with some linked smart home devices.
- Amazon Blink - Will not connect. We are currently researching(v1.0.5).
- All-In-One Cable Modems without wifi routers - Winston does not currently support "behind-the-router" configuration with all-in-one devices. However, if you use a standalone wireless router in conjunction with an all-in-one cable modem/router combo, Winston works properly if connected in between them.
- Cable Modems - Some users have reported issues getting their cable modems to recognize Winston when first plugged in. This usually resolves itself in 12-24 hours, however we have recently implemented a fix (v1.0.5) which should assist these modems in properly recognizing Winston. If problems persist, please plug Winston into the cable modem first and then reboot the modem.
- Slow downloads from Google Drive - We are currently researching this. As a temporary workaround, you can whitelist drive.google.com and speeds will return to normal.
- Unable to login to HSBC via mobile app - We are currently researching this and expect a resolution in v1.0.6.
- XBox One - Some Xbox games and videos are blocked by default. To unblock, disable the "Windows 10 Privacy Filters" found at winston.conf -> Privacy Settings -> Third Party Filters.
- Forms on some ecommerce sites - Shopping sites make heavy use of tracking technologies for fraud prevention. Winston may interfere with checkout. To resolve, simply click the "Allow" button in the Firefox/Chrome extension or add the site to winston.conf -> Privacy Settings -> Allowed Sites.
- Wireless Routers - Winston has no known compatibility issues with standalone wireless routers. We have tested various Netgear, Linksys and Apple routers without difficulties. A few of the routers we have tested against include:
- Netgear AC1750
- Netgear AC1900
- Netgear AC1950
- Netgear R9000
- Honeywell Lynx Controller (Home Alarm System)
- Nest Thermostat (2nd generation)
- Google Pixelbook, Google Backup & Sync, Google Play Store and other Google products which communicate primarily with Google services - All working as of v1.0.5.
- Norton Antivirus updates - Reported working as of v1.0.5.
- Quicken updates - Reported working as of v1.0.5.